Bandar Mahkota Cheras residents will see end of “Grand Saga” today?Posted: May 30, 2008
KUALA LUMPUR: A solution is in sight to the Bandar Mahkota Cheras access road issue.
Works Minister Datuk Mohd Zin Mohamed is expected to visit the site today and make an announcement, according to highway concessionaire Grand Saga Sdn Bhd.
In a statement yesterday, Grand Saga executive director (business development and corporate affairs) Zainal Abidin Ali said they met Mohd Zin yesterday to discuss the issue.
Grand Saga has in the past few weeks tried to re-erect a barricade to prevent residents from by-passing the toll booth, claiming that the access road was illegal.
However, a statement from Bandar Mahkota Cheras developer Narajaya Sdn Bhd reiterated that it had been granted approval for the access road.
“We wish to place on record that when we launched the BMC housing project, we were granted approval by the relevant authorities to build an access road connecting to the then Cheras-Kajang Highway.
“That approval was obtained before the Government granted Grand Saga the concession over the highway.
Full article here.
Is it really that simple? Is the Saga finally over?
If today truly marks the day that this “Grand Saga” (pun intended) is over, I’m happy for the residents of Bandar Mahkota Cheras. They have suffered in silence for much too long.
But one thing I really want to know. Why is the matter only resolved NOW? Why wasn’t it resolved before, if it only takes a discussion between the Grand Saga exec and the Works Minister?
They just HAD to wait until the residents got all riled up. They just HAD to wait for the residents to take matters into their own hands. They just HAD to get some of the residents hurt in the process. They just HAD to wait till some of the residents stormed into Parliament.
They just had to make all matters worse, before they could make it better, no?
That’s why I’m not totally convinced about this “The saga is over”. For one, it’s still unofficial. Nothing is official until the Works Minister says it’s official. And it won’t be over even if the Works Minister says it’s over.
Why was the discussion only between Grand Saga and the Works Ministry? Why wasn’t Narajaya involved in the discussion? Surely they have a lot to say about this whole issue?
This “solution” that they came up with yesterday, will it go down well with Narajaya? Or are they taking them for granted?
I’ll wait for the final “statement” by the Works Minister before I say anything else. But it’s not over till it’s over. And it won’t be over unless the Works Minister, the Selangor State Govt, Grand Saga, Narajaya, and most importantly, the residents say it’s over.
If all parties involved in the Grand Saga that is Bandar Mahkota Cheras can agree that it’s over, then it’s truly over.