Forum on Petrol HikePosted: June 25, 2008
Forum on “Petrol Hike, What Next for Malaysia?”
Date: 26 June 2008 (Thursday)
Time: 8.00 p.m.
Venue: the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH)
(1 ,Jalan Maharajalela , 50150 Kuala Lumpur.)(Next to the Monorail Maharajalela station)
1. Mr Gurmit Singh (President of Centre for Environment, Technology and Development Malaysia – CETDEM)
2. Dr Hatta Ramli (Representative of PROTES)
3. Mr Khalid Jaafar (Executive Director of Institute for Policy Research )
4. Mr Tony Pua (Member of Parliament and Economic Advisor to DAP)
1. Economic impact: How will the jump in the petrol rates bring impact on the whole economic situation? What is the trend of inflation? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the control and subsidy systems?
2. Low economic efficiency, political corruptions and evaluation of the TNB policy: How do the political corruptions and low economic efficiency affect the economy and the people in our country? The energy consumption of the people in our country is five times more than the Japanese.
3. Mass Transit Policy: The rise of the petrol price saved RM 4.4 billion in 2006. However, until now, the result has not brought into the open. How far is the Mass Transit Policy been carried out?
4. Social impact and the situation of the lower class people: How does the government deal with the effects of inflation towards the poor or lower class people.