Anwar gets support from NGOsPosted: June 30, 2008
KUALA LUMPUR, June 30 — About 10 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) staged a protest against the alleged government conspiracy against de facto Pakatan Rakyat leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim at Parliament during the lunch break.
The motley group, which included Tenaganita, Suaram, Hindraf and Komas, said it did not believe in the sodomy charges against Anwar and condemned the death threats made against him.
Suaram executive director Yap Swee Seng called on the government to guarantee Anwar’s safety. But some of the other NGOs seemed to think that more drastic measures were needed.
“We do not believe this absurd allegation against him. We do not care for any investigation into this allegation. We scoff at this,” said an impassioned Hindraf spokesman N. Surendran.
“If injustice is done to Anwar … there will be peaceful demonstrations. Hindraf will take part. BN is trying to rob all Malaysians of their birthright,” he added.
Komas director Jerald Joseph said: “If the March 8 general election results were not enough, the people will rise again. We need a total change of federal government.”
The protestors, which numbered perhaps 50 people, had earlier faced problems getting inside the Parliament compound. Parliament guards had halted them outside the gates to prevent them entry until several Pakatan Rakyat MPs went outside to bring them in.
Original article here.
This is definitely a lot of show of support. And I suspect that this is the general feeling amongst most Malaysians right now. It is unbelievably, either way.