Child abuse of the most horrendous kindPosted: November 27, 2008
Found this on BBC news HERE:
Two New Zealand men have been convicted of murdering a three-year old girl, after months of torturing the child.
Wiremu Curtis, 19, and his brother Michael, 22, face life sentences for the murder of Nia Glassie.
Nia died of brain injuries in hospital on 3 August 2007, two weeks after suffering fatal kicks to her head.
Nia’s mother, Lisa Kuka, 35, who was in a relationship with Wiremu Curtis, was found guilty of manslaughter for failing to protect her child.
The court heard details of horrific abuse inflicted on the three-year old:
• She had been kicked, beaten, slapped, jumped on and held over a burning fire
• She had been put into a clothes dryer spinning at top heat
• Wrestling moves copied from a computer game had been practised on her
• She had been folded into a sofa and sat on, shoved into piles of rubbish, dragged through a sandpit half naked, flung against a wall and dropped from a height onto the floor
• And she had been whirled rapidly on an outdoor rotary clothes line until she was thrown off.
At one point, she was left lying unconscious for 36 hours without medical attention.
I’m horrified at myself for not knowing about this case, despite my physically being in NZ.
Sometimes I wonder, why do these things happen? Two young men, around my age, doing this .. this kind of barbaric thing. I simply have no words.
With the death toll in Mumbai now at more than 100 following terrorist attacks, I’m thinking that this kind of child abuse is also a terroristic act on its own. I pray for humanity.